Saturday 21 September 2013

Welcome to the innaugural post on my new Blog Death of Draegath.
In this blog I will make no distinction between art created for tabletops, for computers or for walls or for anything else. Art is art.
 Large desert hill #1 - ork nob included for scale is 4cm bottom of base to shoulder
Note the red iron look to the 'soil' which I created using a first coat of 50% cheap red student paint, 40% brick staining powder from Bunnings and 10% Grog buff proof black ink (amazing stuff) . I then highlighted with gold oxide paint and once dry I rubbed the whole thing with Matisse Flow Transparent Umber (Flow) which made all the colour look natural.
 Large desert hill #1 detail - I wanted it to look like natural strata with vegetation crevices like you would find in real deserts.
Large desert hill #2 - this one has a little spring up the top which was my first experiment with fake water - note to self and other, this needs to be recessed into the terrain or it sits on top like pva. Also, there are a few bubbles that came up thru as it was drying from the painted sand beneath.
 
 Large Desert Hill #2 - Detail of pool

Large Desert Hill #2 - detail of little cave in base of hill

I used basically the technique shown on this wonderful website to make the hills, but in a nutshell they are on an mdf base, built up first with high density foam and cork tile from Ikea, glued down with pva glue. When dry I filled it in with plaster of paris, waited again til dry then filled and covered further with a 50/50 mix of sand and pva glue. The rest of the rock and sand placement is as per the link. I'm looking forward to gaming on this puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment