Tuesday 22 October 2013

Art Marketing Blog: Fair? Jealousy? Typical

Art Marketing Blog: Fair? Jealousy? Typical: One of the more irritating aspects of working in the visual arts in one particular divide I straddle.  My host institution (a fine art u...

It does annoy me when successful artists are criticised for either appropriation or for the act of being successful. In this article Banksy cred is called into question because of the above and because he has been absorbed by the mainstream art world. Is it jealousy that calls out against him? Banksy started as a street artist who innovated (some would say appropriated) the use of stencils in graffiti in his native Bristol. Nowadays he is a megastar of the art world and has works shown in galleries (gasp, shock, the horror!) as well on the streets. Banksy is criticised in the article for being able to fly around the world plying his grossly successful brand of graffiti and there are Banksy works 10 minutes walk from where I am right now. I'm not sure that Banksy is quite as alone in that as the "true" NY graffiti artists would have you believe. In and around Perth and its environs, we have at least 3 street pieces by French artist SPACE INVADER and I saw another in Melbourne a few years ago. Personally I have made or exhibited art in Oporto, London, Nottingham, Perth, Melbourne, New York, Trenton amongst other places, and I am definately not grossly successful. In reality, appropriation and its tangled skein of ethnic, gender and theological considerations and engendered politics is an unavoidable comfit that all artists must deal with at some point. I would ask that the NY based graffiti artists to grow up and start thinking outside of a "you have, me want" kind of attitude. You want to outdo Banksy? Don't bomb his pieces; go to Bristol and do a piece so outstanding and innovative that it melts Bristolian heads and makes them forget their errant son. Don't be a hater, be an innovator.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well and we will get more information on Art Marketing from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment, although the original blog article is written by talented Canadian Chris Tyrell Loranger. I'll take credit for bringing it to your attention.

    ReplyDelete